Fusion Linux project reboot or shutdown?

Just got reminder in my inbox that in 3 months Fusion Linux domain will expire.

I’m still willing to push Fusion Linux further but without other joining the project it is not likely to go anywhere.

What do you think is there a reason to restart Fusion Linux again?

What is the state of other Fedora remixes? What are the closest to Fusion doing? I saw few project also shutdown, so maybe there is no demand for Fedora remixes?

About these ads
This entry was posted in Fedora, linux, News. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fusion Linux project reboot or shutdown?

1. Chuck says:

Saying that there is no demand for Fedora remixes is extreme. I think that a better question would be ‘Is there demand for so many remixes?’.

For me, the answer to the former is yes, there is a demand for certain remixes. However I think that people create remixes for each particular niche market is extreme. To those who don’t understand the concept as a whole, it looks like fragmentation. To those that understand the concept, they want the remix that is closest to their need. A remix that only changes some defaults and adds some packages is not always a reason to select it when adding a repo or two and ‘yum install [packages]‘ will get you 95% of the way to what the remix provides out of the box.

Perhaps instead of maintaining a separate remix for some modifications to the default installation maintaining an RPMgroup would be both easier for you and for those wishing to enhance their installation with your particular modifications.

2. Vinz says:

Hi,
    For when I used Fedora, I didn’t like all the post-installation hassle needed. I wasn’t satisfied with remixes, untill I found Fusion. So for me, there is a reason for Fusion, totally.
    However, sometimes I feel like it’s too much to install a remix, and I particularly liked your post-install script, which turned a fresh Fedora into a full Fusion. So maybe that could be a good thing, if it’s too much to create a full remix, to enhance even more this script. I think that scripts like Ā«Fedora UtilsĀ» are quite popular, but that you’re doing much better.
    Cheers

3. Chris Smart says:

Fedora will never ship lots of the software that many users want/need and for this reason (among others) I think there will always be a place for good Remixes like Fusion Linux so long as there is a stable Fedora Project behind it. For what it’s worth, if you do decide to shutdown Fusion Linux, we would welcome you with open arms over at Korora Project if you’re still keen to be involved in something but not carry the whole burden yourself. Thanks and all the best!

4. distroguy says:

5. Ariel says:

Yes, I believe that the Fusion Linux project must reborn. The stability of Fedora, combined with the usability provided by your excellent concept about what an operating system should offer, it is what many users are seeking. Thank you.

6. Ahmad says:

Reboot. Fedora is a wonderful OS and has huge potential. All it needs is something like this remix to provide an OOB experience with a simple one-app-per-task ideology.

Looking forward to Fusion 18 with Cinnamon 1.8 :)
    Simple, fast, traditional. Based on rock solid Fedora.

Kororaa doesn’t really cut it for me. It needs to be slimmed, simplified. Support for more hardware OOB is needed.

7. Ahmad says:

PS. I wanna agree with Chris Smart that it’ll be nice if you join the kororaa project since you share almost the same vision for the OS. Hopefully, that will work for the best of both the OS and the community. Perhaps you could help them improve the OOB experience and possibly provide more choices for end users by providing more editions.

8. Christian says:

Personally, I’ve been PINING for a Fedora based OS that I can run on my laptop or desktop WITHOUT the extreme lifecycle of Fedora (re-installing every 6 months is crazy).

I thought that Fuduntu was the answer, but alas that project is dead.

I would love for Fusion to pickup where Fuduntu left off. Provide me a good Fedora based OS that I don’t have to reinstall so often (rolling release maybe?).

I’m no developer – But I’m willing to build and test RPMs…help any way I can.

9. Matthew says:

Don’t shut down, come on. I’ve been waiting since sometime in 2012 for a new version of fusion linux to be released. I love linux, been using it for years. If you release a new version of fusion linux I would soo totally use it, don’t shut down.

10. Laurent says:

With all respect for the Korora Project, I think that Fusion must keep it’s own way. Fusion Linux is better, in my opinion.

11. Ariel says:

So, Valent, what is gonna be ?

12. Rampage says:

I had been looking for a RHEL/CentOS “Remix” and found my way here… It’s difficult to choose this project over Korora, given the current status… Have you ever considered a remix for RHEL? It would be nice to have the stability and security of what most people run on their Server boxes… with all the bells and whistles something like Linux Mint provides. Just a thought.

13. Chris whittaker says:

I would think their is a definate need for fusion to keep going, compared to all the big distros Fedora doesnt have many remixes, and most of the remixes out there are producing more required products than the main distro its based on.
    I could imagine a lot of ex Fuduntu people could become Fusion users I miss Fuduntu. for sure
    if you have a xfce or mate version for the multitude of people that dont like gnome 3 that could also pull people
    Fedora needs remixes as it always seems to lack that exciting edge and can easily be forgotten distros like Fusion make it a name that you associate with something special
    Get something out and on You tube with Spatry / Sneeky etc get the name known people will come…