Fusion Linux 14 will come with TeamViewer remote desktop

After looking at all available remote desktop solution we have found out that TeamViewer for Linux is just best solution out there.
Free software purists are probably going to cringe at this decision but I have to say that there just is no open source piece of software that does easy remote desktop NAT traversal to my knowledge. If there is please let us know.

But it must be EASY, dead easy to use.

If you have static setup from one location to other and access to internet/adsl routers you can setup port forwarding for vnc. But if you have multiple moving customers that have no access to gateway internet router (internet cafe, hotspots) or have no knowledge how to setup port forwarding I see no other solution but to use TeamViewer. Also using vnc mirror technique fails if you are moving part of the equation.

So with permission from TeamViewer team Fusion Linux will have it installed in final release (currently not available in beta release)

Feel free to leave your comments in this blog post but even better leave them in our forum.

I would love to see Fedora and Ubuntu do something similar by taking tightvnc, patching it and also providing server side point for NAT traversal. Until that happens TeamViewer is only game in town for eady and trouble-free remote desktop. TeamViewer works great so if you haven’t tried it go ahead you will be amazed how smooth it works.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Fusion Linux and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Fusion Linux 14 will come with TeamViewer remote desktop

1. Oli Warner says:

For simple VNC sessions, gitso copes with firewalls and NAT pretty well by reversing the whole problem. You don’t connect to a VNC server, it connects to you.

This is ideal for support people. The person with the problem opens up gitso, sticks in the address of the support person, gitso tunnels a connection out to their address and starts a VNC server to feed that tunnel.

At the other end, Gitso accepts the inbound request and starts a vnc viewer using the tunnel.

Gitso is really just a frontend for a SSH session, x11vnc and a vnc viewer. There’s nothing particularly special, clever or propretary about the whole process and with a bit of UI love, Gitso (or some not-yet-created replacement) could easily do what you want.

For a less-support-based setup, I’m sure I saw something about Empathy (the chat client) supporting SSH tunnels, and as a result of that work, being able to do desktop sharing as an action to somebody on the user list (pretty damned simple!)

TeamViewer appears to proxy all the traffic through their servers so both connections are outbound (to mitigate NAT). Sounds good but this relies on their bandwidth being great and their servers being within spitting distance of both users (or latency will suck). I also assume that if both nodes are within the same network, it would be a lot slower than a direct LAN connection.

• valent says:

Gitso FAQ:
      Q: I want to help someone, but I’m behind a router, and it doesn’t work!
      A: The person who is going to “give support” must have port 5500 open to their PC. This usually means enabling port forwarding on your router and poking holes through any firewalls.

So this still doesn’t work if you CAN’T poke hole in firewall. Thanks for your suggestion but it is not it.

• Oli Warner says:

Gitso is aimed at people who the technical support. People who clearly can set up their ports to accept support requests… Rather than getting clueless people asking for support to set up their ports first. I agree it’s not as effortless as an external service… But it’s quicker (throughput and latency wide) and open source.

And don’t forget about Empathy which can do all the traversal for you through telepathy and integrates with Vino for an almost effortless solution.

• valent says:

I call bullshit, sure technical knowledge, but I don’t want to spend 2 hours talking to people and explaining them how they need to open up their firewall. Also when you CAN’T access firewall because you are behind corporate firewall or in cafe what are you going to do? I want a tool that will let me access their machine, fix the issue and move on. Gitso doesn’t do that.

I’m not lazy so I installed Empathy and tried half dozen times to connect to friend running ubuntu, and he tried to connect to mine fedora desktop. Failure rate 100%, we got 0 remote desktop. Fired up TeamViewer, two clicks later and I had his desktop under control.

2. Brandon says:

I recommend you reconsider your decision. Proprietary software cannot be audited for security risks and with NAT Traversal, it puts even more risk into using Fusion Linux. Who knows what they will be doing with your computer and not having to open ports on a router gives them or crackers who exploit their code an easy backdoor.

• valent says:

Security?
      Well Fusion Linux still has fully enabled SELinux so that should keep the bad guys from doing nasty stuff, right? Firewall is still enabled so no unsolicited incoming connections aren’t allowed. TeamViewer runs as client process on demand and not as 24/7 service. You lack basic knowledge about how TeamViewer works so I suggest you first try it out and you are speaking to generic. Making general claims “closed source is security risk” don’t work for me.

3. Brandon says:

I don’t know if I you understand this stuff. SELinux and your firewall aren’t preventing TeamViewer from punching a hole in your firewall (NAT Traversal) so I don’t understand how it couldn’t have malware hidden in it. It would have all the network access it would need plus permission to broadcast your desktop. SELinux also doesn’t automatically detect malicious code.

4. Joseph says:

Unless you personally have the knowledge and time to examine all the source code of every program running in your Linux distribution, talking about the security of open-source code is somewhat pointless. Remember the trojan lurking in a game server that took folks 18 months to notice (and made it into the Gentoo repositories)? For all I know, OpenOffice could be plotting to format my hard drive any day now, and for all others know, my machine learning code could be designed to emerge SkyNet. There’s a point at which you have to set aside irrational fears. Any closed source program could be a trojan the same way any of your neighbors could be serial killers, but that doesn’t mean you should spend much if any time worrying about either possibility.

To the above: SELinux doesn’t detect malicious code; nothing does. It does detect suspicious activity.

• valent says:

Agreed, also claiming that some code does key logging without any proof is just ridiculous.

I love open source but that also doesn’t guarantee 100% that there won’t be some security issue, remember ssh Debian debacle?

Adding any piece of software (no matter if it is open or closed) on top of linux kernel reduces security of any system. But how much? I argue that TeamViewer wont be problem for any Fusion Linux user and if anybody thinks it is a problem please prove me wrong.

5. Inga says:

Hello,
    thanks for adding TeamViewer to Fusion Linux. We really like it.
    For security issue you also can read our security statement (http://www.teamviewer.com/products/security.aspx). For us, as a software developement company, security has always been our priority. If you have any questions about this or any other issue, please let me know.
    Regards Inga
    TeamViewer Germany

6. RS says:

The comments was a great read!

“Unless you personally have the knowledge and time to examine all the source” <- Hahaha! (Not even Debian does this [ref: "Not Authenticated" Packages])
    "that took folks 18 months to notice"

7. Ficoos says:

No other OS commercial or not has this feature out of the box, and I don’t think we need to throw away our ideals in areas we don’t have to compete.

The notion of finding an Open-Source alternative is impractical
    If both parties are behind NAT\Firewall there is no way for them to directly communicate without a 3rd party. That 3rd party would have to pay for the bandwidth costs of tunnelling the connection. OSS or not, some entity has to keep the servers up and running. Someone has to pay for it.

As long as one side of the equation has the ability to do port-forwarding or has a router which supports UPNP you can simply have a solution using free software.

Further more I don’t think people would like having there session passed through a commercial entity that they have no idea what it would do with his data.

There is also a place here of open source companies Red-Hat\Canonical\Novell to offer tunnelling servers included in their support fees giving this money to companies who support the cause and give back.

8. Pingback: Fusion 14 Release Candidate is out | Fusion Linux

9. Lyle says:

I was sure happy to find TeamView a while back and now that they support Linux even better.

10. Pingback: TeamViewer 6 in Fusion Linux | Fusion Linux